April 8, 2010

Challenge Day 89 - My Creative Space 8

As some of you may have know that I have set a 3 months challenge for myself, where I create an art a day to multiply my day. As I mentioned from my post here that I will continue the challenge until the day Peanut is born.

I have a confession to made. I am Ms Perfectionist where I like to make sure everything is well executed, looking pretty and professional..just like old days (I was a professional graphic designer before the redundancy and now being a stay-home-mum-to-be). So being a Ms Perfectionist setting up my little store on etsy...it takes time. I just realized that listing takes up time! Oh - the more I create, the more I noticed my initial direction is 'running away' from being just black and white (from my hand-drawn illustration). I guess it's a good thing eh? It's coming together.
some of my masterpiece
color testing wall..kinda ;)
I had accomplished the challenge on taking up Mr Minzy's challenge yesterday. I now have another 10 pieces of masterpiece (digitalize my existing hand-drawn illustrations) into 'ready to print/sell' box. Today will be the day of color testing, printing them and framing them up. Just finger crossed that I will have a better light in the lounge to take pretty picture.. :)
Which one would you prefer:
With or without the white border around?
I am crossed between to create an art with white border around or to fill it up in full. Which one would you prefer?

Head over to Kirsty's place for more creative talents lovely people out there... Happy Thursday everyone! :)

22 comments:

Kathryn Mitchell said...

I like the white border. I think borders are important, they bring the eye into the image. I really like the card in the middle there, the pink background with a bird cage (?), it looks really cute.

Kirsty said...

Good on you for making your shop just right for you! That's half the fun I think.

dash robin said...

go the border i say...important to give some negative space i reckon...i like the lovely details in your work.

Trudi - Me and Ewe said...

Tough choice - I think I would go with filling it up.

Irene MissyMinzy said...

Thanks for the valuable comments, Katy. I like honest and upfront comments like yours. We the creator can be so dwelling into our own world but it's always good to step outside the creative space, ponder and ask question...to make it perfect :)

Kirsty: Just did not expect to take up so much time. It's like looking after my precious baby.... ;)

Dash robin: Thanks for the lovely comment! My works are very much focus on details too! I hope you could revisit my blog v soon cuz am revamping this space atm... :)

Trudi: Thanks for your comment too! I am with you on the filling it up but I have seen some people (the target audience?) who like to have some white border around. Hence the tough choice for me too... :)

michelle said...

your work is lovely. tough call, love them both but i do like borders

Jo said...

Lovely prints as always!! I'll pick white border as well... i also think it depends on the wall.. if the wall is white, then no border maybe :P

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

My vote is for without the border. White can be overwhelming to the highlights that you have chosen in your work. It’s all looking good.

yardage girl said...

These look great! I prefer a white border - I think it accentuates the art much better. Nic

Rosalind said...

I am a sucker for borders - the more white space the better I think! Success with your shop and the new bub!!

Irene MissyMinzy said...

Michelle, Kylie & Nic: Thanks for your comment. Greatly appreciated! :)

Jo: I can be bias having the white border cuz my wall is white. :)

Rosalind: Thanks for the wishes! X

Irene MissyMinzy said...

and with the result of 6 votes to WITH border and 2 votes to WITHOUT the border.....I guess it really comes down to individual isn't it?

Cindy said...

Perfectionism is a good thing when it comes to setting up shop. I like without border - good luck.

Unknown said...

Love the border too...You have lovely work and such a creative mind, beautiful

Irene MissyMinzy said...

that will comes down to 7 votes to WITH border and 3 votes to WITHOUT the border.

Thanks for the wishes as I needed that, Cindy! :)

Amanda: Thanks for the lovely comment on my work! Made my day x2! :D

inaluxe said...

I kind of like having a border on most of my prints, but usually just a little one, no more than an inch either side - it just makes it easier for framing, but if I had to pick, I'd say teeny little border, or no border. But you know, sometimes I like a thicker border too... in this case, I prefer the no border. :) I'll stop blabbing now! :)

Irene MissyMinzy said...

Hey Kristina. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

I have actually printed both options and framed it up..and putting them side by side for comparison. Am with you on teeny little border or no border. Most of my masterpieces have heaps of details so I like the actual artwork to be big, hence no border. I guess I have to judge it depending on the simplicity of the artwork...

Snooze said...

are you finding the ideas are coming because you have to create every day? because you just seem to be going from strength to strength. i'm must loving this week's work.
My Creative Space

B @ Sweet Limes said...

I love coming to your site to see what you've been up to. I just adore your images and the bold bright colours you use.

As for border or no border I would have to say it would depend on where I was going to hang it and the feel I was going for. In my opinion having a border on it makes it feel like a print of a picture while no border makes it have more of an original piece of art feel to it. Both are fine, but sometimes it appears to be a cheap print from Michael's when there is a border on it rather than a piece of art, print or not, from an art store.

Irene MissyMinzy said...

Susan: I would say that hand-drawn illustration was based on daily basis until recently..as I have moved on digitalizing my black and white sketches as it's coming to an end of 3 months' timeframe so to speak.

As for color wise, the color has always behind my mind how I wanted them to look like. So I guess it's the matter of time executing them into color version. Also, I want to gear it up executing them and ready for the e-store before Peanut is born. At least part of the dream is fulfill. :)

Irene MissyMinzy said...

Thanks B for lovely comment and suggestion!

Updates: that will comes down to 8 votes to WITH border and 4 votes to WITHOUT the border. I can see there's crossed between both options too. I cannot blame you if you are one of them cuz am the same too! :D

Once again, thanks for all the lovely comments and suggestions! XX

Kylie said...

I always like a border and I think they are just divine. What a wonderful way to loosen up creativity - it always takes us places we'd never dreamed of :)) K