September 27, 2012

Diary form: Post Working Experience with Ink & Spindle

This is a post working experience which had happened early February/March this year.

So I was mucking around with hand screen printing after my short course with CAE sometime in Year 2009. It all went well when I was in the class. But it went all wrong when I was trying to do mine few weeks after the short course. I couldn't figure out what went wrong.

Read my old blog posts here

Few months later, I visited this fabulous local hand screen textile printing company - Ink & Spindle in Kensington. I chat about my experience with my own project and wanting to learn more. I was being offered a working experience opportunity with Ink & Spindle when I was pregnant with Peanut (way back in Y2009). But I had to turn the offer down due to the belly was growing bigger and the massive road trip traveling from VIC to WA and oversea.

I caught up with Teeg (one of the founder of Ink & Spindle) asking for another opportunity 3 years later (almost). She was lovely and offered me to come into their studio. To learn how to work on fabrics, printing etc. Due to the changes of current life arrangement (Mr Minzy has gone FT on studying in uni and PT working). We were very blessed to have one of our family gf whom we knew from church looking after Peanut while both of us busy achieving our dreams. I thought, Oh-Great!

The 1st Monday
There were butterflies in the tummy the night before I went in on 27th February. It was Mr Minzy's first day to uni. 1st day for Peanut staying at our family gf's place. I tell you, it wasn't easy to being apart from your child when you have been the key person looking after her! Weather was gloomy on that day. Heaps of rain and all that jazz. There was an intern at the studio working away when I arrived. Great! I wasn't alone! :) Brought in a homemade yogurt peach almond cake for the girls. That Monday was about to get to know each other better, familiarize everything as much as possible, planning some project, concepts.... Enjoying my lunch quietly. Having decent companion with proper adult conversations. Well needed as you can tell ;) I went home with head up high that evening. It was great to be out and about. Peanut ran towards me and gave me a big hug when I arrived home. Looks like she misses me too ;) That night 3 of us celebrated my 36th years old birthday. It was very meaningful. It feels great and a complete birthday :)

The 2nd Monday

Back to basic. Heaps of tracing and tracing.

I have been drawing heaps illustration of feather for my Happiness range. This is just one of them. It would only make sense for me to tie in these happy feathers as part of the project while I'm fulfilling this awesome working experience with I&S.

Met a new intern from France - Justine. A very lovely lady. We somehow click pretty much straightaway. It was small world. You know, she lived just up the road where I am living. Aha!

  
Justine (far left) and Lara are concentrating on their own projects at the Ink & Spindle's studio.

The 3rd Monday
Took me ages to cut all of those feathers. Finger tips are sore and not to forget, my neck! Ouch ;|

The 4th Monday

 Stencil is all carved and cut perfectly. Ready to go on the screen.

 Tada! First run hand pulled screen printing on the fabric!

More Happiness Feather's screen printing!

Hello Lara! Visit her personal blog here if desired.

The 4th & 5th Monday
Me holding my very first DIY cushion using my own hand screen printed fabric!

Sewing is not my skill but I've managed to pull it off with the girls' helps
for my first DIY cushion and the very first DIY tote bag! :) How cool is that? :)

My very first DIY tote bag using my own hand screen printed fabric of course! 

I have learn so much from both Teegs and Lara. They were great mentors and willing to help and teach.
Definitely looking forward to combine my refresh hand screen printing skill with my current work. So watch out guys! ;)

No comments: