
Bought this at the market
Challenge Day 69: It was another tiring, long Friday for us. Had a not so pleasant experience at the hospital today. Just pray and hope that everything be going smooth and well on the actual labour day.
Challenge Day 70: Made an effort to stop by Magnolia Square Market (MSM) at St Kilda Town Hall in the arvo. It was my first time at the MSM. Saw some really wonderful crafter and some true blue handmade. Was albeit of let down (honestly) cuz not all of them are handmade. Some brands which are worth mention (that I like) is Lauren from Oktoberdee. Was v tempted to purchase one of the bag....sigh. Due to it was handmade by Lauren herself so the price is almost like NancyBird. Maybe one day....I will be able to purchase and own one when my shop is earning profits.
Met Caitlin from Pippijoe too! I like her screenprinted textiles..long time! Oh. Another talent worth to mention whom I met at MSM yesterday too. Wendy from WendyJune who happened to be an illustrator herself too.
Thoughts:
It seems to be quite common for most talents to take up about 2-3 years before their store and brand be established. I have learnt that handmade market can be a hard 'industry' to enter. So one has to ensure your product is very unique and special AND NOT just another imitator. Cuz Mr Minzy had a quick detour when I was chatting with Wendy and he told me much later that how come all crafts and handmade are not for men? Good point babe. And he also mentioned, there's too many imitation going around...and was sick and tired looking at owl. Haha..
and this at St Vinnies
We decided to stop at St Vinnies on our way back. I found this set of red mail box container? Anyways, I like the color RED. It cost me 5 bucks for the found. Initial thought was to use them as part of the kitchen but after some thought...might use them in the studio instead. :)

4 comments:
Frist up, all the with your medical issues.
Magnolia Square can have pricey items, i did well in Sydney as i had products people could afford!!
You are SOOOO righ about copy cat & imitation, i'm completely changing track this year as the last Mathilda's Market in Canberra was a massive reality check & so much the same, i was really disappointed. Getting back to what i originally set out to do. I was in business for 6 years before i attempted a market, mainly as i had 4 children in that time & didn't want to have to breastfeed half way through a market. So i waited until my last baby was weaned (nearly 2 lucky boy) then started. Being a work from home mother, it was quite literally the ONLY thing i did without the children. Started small & worked my range, style, confidence & variety up to a massive double stall at Handmade Market in Canberra. It can happen, it will happen, you just have to keep an eye on the competition & what you set out to do. Good luck & sorry, both men & often boys too miss out on handmade goodness. I'm bias with 3 daughters!! Didn't mean this to be so long, i'm done, love Posie
I hope it all work out on the day with all the medical stuff. Try to trust in yourself.
It is interesting that noone is really catering for the males at the handmade markets. It is very textile and baby focused but I guess that's just where the dollars are.
Thanks for the encouragement girls!
MSM is also a pricey market to be part of the participate list imo. Posie, your story has given me a HUGE hope that I can do it! I cannot believe you had to wait for so long to have your first market! Your children are so blessed to have you as their mum!! Having children is not what I expected to have/own when Mr Minzy and I first got together. But things just kick off well between the 2 of us as years goes by and we bound to go/grow through different stage of life. This, is part of the changes too I believed.
I can see that am one blessed woman who has a man who willing to take care of our child even if I have a market to run around Melb in the near future. Even so, he could help to sell my masterpieces while me taking care of our child with or without having me there at the stall.
Most of the money maker industry is where the women are. Men tend to miss out and that explains why they have limited choices when comes to things like fashion ;)
Oh Posie..don't worry about long post. Just so you know, I like to read long post. :) Irene XOX
Post a Comment